A memory foam mattress is incredibly comfortable and it helps you get the sleep you’ve waited for. But, just like any other product, it is exposed to damaging external factors that you may or may not be aware of. The proper cleaning of a memory foam mattress involves removing stains and unpleasant odours, as well. Even the best memory foam mattress needs regular cleaning and care in order to ensure its longevity and maintain its properties.
However, cleaning your memory foam topper requires skills and should not be soaked in water since it absorbs water during washing. Your memory foam mattress toppers cannot be washed using a washing machine owing to its size not to mention that the machine agitation could lead to their breakage. Manual cleaning is the most effective method and here is a guide on how you should do it.
6 Steps On How To Clean Memory Foam Mattress
You Will Need:
- Vacuum cleaner
- Clean cotton cloth
- Laundry detergent
- Spray bottle
1. The first thing you should do is to remove the topper from your bed and then place it in an area that has good air circulation and this can be outdoors or in a room as long as there is a window. Make sure it is on a firm or hard surface.
2. Once it is properly rested on the hard surface use a hose attachment to vacuum it. This should be done by going through circular motions as you remove any particles or fragments from both sides. In case your memory foam mattress topper happens to have some small gaps, try as much as possible to access the inside parts of every gap for thorough cleaning. Always remember that the crevices will increase the foam’s surface area.
3. In case your foam topper has some stains, you can clean them using a clean cotton cloth dipped in some little amount of water mixed with a gentle laundry detergent. This should be able to wipe the stained spots gently, erasing the stains thus giving you a better ending.
4. The next step should be to mix some warm water and a gentle laundry detergent in a spray bottle. This can be done in the ratio of 2:1 respectively after which you should spray the solution on the mattress to cover the whole surface. Do not drench your memory foam. Once you have fully sprayed, give the solution a few hours to settle before going to the next step.
5. After allowing the solution to sit on your memory foam for some time, take clean cotton clothe and dampen it using clean water. Use this cloth to remove the detergent and this can be done by pressing the mattress thus ensuring that it is fully cleaned. Rinse the cloth as you find necessary for thorough results. This should be done on both sides of the mattress to ensure that the entire surface is perfectly cleaned.
6. Once you are through with this process, lay the clean memory foam mattress on a flat shady surface or in a properly aired room with windows. This will help ensure that the topper is fully dried thus eliminating any chances of mildew formation. Leave the memory topper in this position (if inside) for 24 hours or until you are certain that it has properly dried up.
Additional Tips and Advice
- There are several ways you can help the mattress dry more quickly. The easiest is to set up a fan to blow over the wet area. Alternatively, you can use a hair dryer to apply air and heat. Do not leave the hair dryer on unattended, you’ll have to hold it over the wet spot while using it. Another option that can be used in conjunction with the fan or hair dryer is to press a clean, absorbent towel over the spot. This will soak up some of the moisture, but wait at least an hour after you initially apply the solution to give it time to work.
- If you need to use the mattress before the spot is fully dry, lay a folded thick towel over the wet area, under the mattress sheet. As soon as you get out of the bed, strip the bedding back so the mattress is once again exposed to the air. Do not use a mattress protector until the spot is fully dry.
- For general cleaning, lightly mist the entire surface and allow to air dry, uncovered, for at least a day. If the mattress is used daily, mist it first thing in the morning and set fans up to help dry it throughout the day.